About UsDownload version for offline viewing or printing[78.33kB]
Newborn Screening Ontario (NSO), located at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), is the provincial program that coordinates newborn screening in Ontario, Canada. Our multidisciplinary team provides a comprehensive program of analysis, follow-up, education, research and development. For more information about us, please read our backgrounder.
The best possible health through screening
- Ensure every newborn receives the highest quality screening and care for serious diseases.
- Continuously develop and improve the integrated system of screening for the population we serve*.
- Be global leaders in screening through research, development, education, and innovation.
*The integrated screening system includes:
- mechanisms for educating and enrolling the target population, including the consideration of consent,
- the screening test itself and its interpretative process,
- mechanisms for retrieving individuals identified to be at risk, conducting diagnostic evaluations, and initiating treatments or interventions as indicated,
- data management and performance measurement infrastructure to ensure high performance of all components, and
- a robust policy setting and governance structure.